2.04.2008

More Than a Bloody Mary Condiment...

........Who knew that Worcestershire Sauce was good for more than that ubiquitous morning after hangover relief drink? Is it possible that I didn't use this tangy substance because I didn't know how to pronounce it correctly? Sidekick Lil' Saucy spent sometime in London and was the first to explain to me that some of those inner letters (ce) are in effect silent. This leaves us with an easily pronouncible 3 syllable word--Wor/ster/shire. This pronounciation trick can be applied to other often mispronounced English place names such as Leicester Square in London. While Lil' Saucy is no longer in London, I occasionally visit the web cam there because it was one of the first I encountered on the WWW.

Cooking more with lemons and limes is another addition to the family recipe legacy we are trying to document here. Sidekick SpicyBBQ, on return from several worldly travels, encouraged us to explore those tangy Indian-South East Asian flavors which include Lemon Grass, Lime Leaves , Fish Sauce, and different kinds of spicy peppers. The Tom Yum Soup SpicyBBQ made upon return from traveling opened my eyes and tastebuds to the wonderful lemonylimeyness of these flavors (and doesn't that sound just like Nigella). This Marinated Roasted Chicken makes my mouth water with Umami anticipation.

Marinated Roasted Chicken
  • Juice of 2 Lemons ( 1/2 Cup liquid)
  • 1/4 Cup--1/3 Cup of Worcestershire Sauce
  • Splash to 1/8 Cup white wine
  • Splash to 1/8 Cup Chicken Broth
  • (Splashes not necessary but add layers to flavor)
  • 1 TBS of melted butter (OK oil is permissible)

  • 1 cut up chicken with skin still on (You know you love it)
  • Sprinkle chicken pieces with Mrs Dash, or your favorite No-Salt spice blend
  • Place chicken pieces in oiled 13x9 glass dish (easier cleanup)

  • Pour on Marinade
  • Bake 350' for 1-1 1/2 Hrs
  • Sometimes I start out at 400' for the first 20 Mins
  • Baste every 20 Mins (Yes! I love to baste, its why my T-giving Turkey is so great)

  • Serve with crispy baked potatoes and tart cole slaw.
  • A grassy Sauvingnon Blanc would be my preference, but one of the Spicy Sidekicks might choose beer.

How tasty grilled? I leave that to the grill expert--SpicyBBQ.

In Search Of The Affordable Quaff:

  • Recently Tasted: 2006, 120 Santa Rita Sauvignon Blanc
  • Screw Top (can you say picnic/beach wine). Nice grassy nose and flavor with the usual hints of crisp apple fruit (a tiny hint of peach if you close your eyes really tight while sniffing), nice mouth feel, although what annoys me is that the 13.5% alcohol is in part responsible for that mouth feel. Why Oh Why does an inexpensive white wine need to have the alcohol content of an almost Cabernet Bomb? Wouldn't some of this alcohol be better used in ethanol??
  • Will buy again in sufficient party quantities

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SaucyMama,

when we talked the other day about the War-chester-shire saucy recipe, you said it was 1/8 cup War-chester-shire....now we're calling for 1/4 to 1/3 cup? Thats nearly a whole bottle! Phew, intense flavors, your Saucyness....

Anonymous said...

Well Spicy now you made me go dig out my pyrex measuring cup. It is kind of hard to measure splashes. But yes, 1/4 C is the preferred Wor/ster/shire measurement. 1/3 C for bigger lemons and more chicken. My bottle of Wor/ster/shire is the 10oz size, which according to pyrex is a little over 1 cup. I still have some left in the bottle, and marinated grilled shrimp just popped into my head...