3.15.2008

Saturday's Spice: Green and Gold Coriander


Coriander (Coriandrum Sativum) is what we call the ground seeds of the green herb Cilantro. I didn't know this till I fell in love with the flavor of cilantro on a vacation trip with a college-aged sister.
Imagine a sunny California afternoon in 1980--we stopped at some fresh food vegetarian outdoor cafe...she was the vegetarian. It might have been somewhere in Sonoma, but I don't really remember. What I still recall with sunlight clarity is the taste of the finely chopped carrot, onion, and tomato salsa generously flecked with the greenness of cilantro. It was the very first time I thought I have to make this at home. The Food Lover's Companion suggests that cilantro is the world's most used herb.


Poor 1st cousin coriander, I generally consigned it to Christmas cooking until I discovered its role in Indian food. Even Wikipedia notes that coriander is underused in European cooking traditions except for flavoring sausages and sometimes rye bread--both part of my food heritage. In an attempt to use more of what's in the spice drawer, I now sprinkle ground coriander on peeled, cubed, and olive oiled butternut squash. Roasted at 350ยบ for 45-60 mins. It's an easy side dish for roasted meats of any persuasion.



Sunny Cilantro Salsa
1 Medium Carrot
1 Medium Red or White Onion
Fresh Garden Tomatoes
Cilantro to Taste (I start with 1/2 bunch)

Use the food processor, or finely chop with a knife
Thin with tomato juice, or pure tomato sauce
Sometimes a squeeze of lemon or lime
SpicyBBQ would probably add a jalapeno

Serve With Chips while humming....

No comments: