2.16.2008

Saturday's Spice: Garlic

I have to admit I'm not quite the fresh garlic fan as is SpicyBBQ. Oh, I think its very useful, but speed cooking often requires time saving ingredients such as (read in a very whispered voice) a jar of chopped garlic. In an attempt to add more authentic freshness to my meals I did buy a nice head of garlic last month, and placed it in a charming little pottery bowl on the counter as a hint to use. Last week in a mini-fit of counter-re-efficiency I found my fresh head of garlic. My little pottery bowl had been lost among the coffee pot, coffee beans, tea tins, colander, Christmas nuts, can goods, and wine bottles that are always going in and out of my pantry. I was pleasantly surprised on that gray snowy day to find my garlic head obeying a call of nature that I probably won't be hearing till April....it was sprouting green.

I didn't resist the urge and potted the cloves up right then and there, and added some bottom heat by way of a heat vent. I've tried growing garlic in the garden several times without much luck. I'll see if they like my pot culture. These tiny green serendipitous sprouts make me smile. And now I'm thinking that green garlic sprouts are the perfect antidote to those gray vampire days of winter. Check out these links if you need to know more about "spear leek" history, or its healthful properties, or its cultivation, or its celebration.

2 comments:

SpicyBBQ said...

Wow, it was just a few days ago that Lil' Saucy called me and said, "what is going on with my onions? They have a big sprout growing out of them." Beware the Ides of March, it appears we may have a fertility streak in the family here...

...back to prepping the "Free Range" turkey breast I am grilling tonight, which, coincidentally, I was dicing FRESH garlic for :)

Lil' Saucy said...

It's true.... my onion was out of control. I took a picture. I'll add it here soon.