6.14.2008

Not Quite Spice


Not quite a Saturday Spice.... but this incipient pepper is growing in a pot on my deck. It is surrounded by baby parsley plants. Like many others, I'm trying to lessen my carbon footprint on this planet. And like many others, I was heartened by Michael Pollan's article about growing even a little of one's own food as a way to keep green.

In the past my yard did have a vegetable garden, but the growth of neighboring shrubs and trees (planted in anticipation of global warming) keeps the yard in light shade most of the day. My deck though probably gets about 6 hours of sunlight. So...I'm trying veggies in pots--I even found a book at the library: Crops in Pots by Bob Purnell. The book details an assortment of planting combinations that make your veggie plantings look as good as pots of flowers.

Along with the peppers and parsley combo, I'm trying beets with bush cucumbers, tomatoes with bush basil, and separate pots of carrots, mesclun, rainbow swiss chard, fennel, and pattypan squash. At the farmer's market I even found a hanging pot of Tiny Tim tomatoes which now hangs on the fence.
Here's the rainbow chard.


And the Tiny Tim tomatoes.


Trying to keep Green!

1 comment:

SpicyBBQ said...

You left out the part about the Crops in Pot - how is that going? Be sure to keep it hidden away - I can just see Julie Peck nosing thru your garden and turning you into the DEA for "cultivation."