6.15.2008

Simply the Best Dad

One of the most important things I've learned in life is the ability to smile. 


I'm not quite sure where I learned it - but on this - Father's Day - I think I need to give some credit to my Dad.


Always remember to smile - a good lesson



Again - smiling.  How can one person be so happy.....?

but that's Dad!



Dad loves a good pint - and perhaps going to Ireland was the supreme pilgrimage....


Dad loves a good brew - in fact he loves one.  Now he's a hip-ster, toting an iPod, a Blackberry, and a laptop.  But lets grab a snapshot in 2001 - when technology puzzled him.  Interested - Curious - Clueless.


i

WDC = Washington DC - the Smithsonian.  Dad  is an American, thru and Thru.  


But he loves a quick pint - and so we oblige.


Foreign countries don't phase him - bring on the Canadians - in Niagara Falls.  Does it phase him?  Nope - he's still smiling.

And there they are - Mom and Dad.  They got married nearly sixty years ago -  bursting with the passion of youth.  What do they do as an encore, when their children are all grown?  

My friends, I fret and hem and haw, but I can truly say when they meet, it's hard for me to describe - but my parents are In Love.  Still Crazy After All these Years........

So today, on Fathers' Day - I give thanks and praise - and love - to Mom, and of course, Dad - still together, and still crazy, after all these years......


And sadly, we bid farewell to the Dad of Dad this year - a man who passed with no regrets.  At this end - I thank both of them - my grandfather (who I'll never see again) and my father (may many moons pass) - 


2 comments:

SaucyMama said...

Well your time line is off. Its not been 60 years but 38. And yes It was your father's winning smile that made me say YES! Thank goodness I was more impressed with his technical ability than his cooking prowess. Although he knew how to do his own laundry, what I really appreciate is that I always had the latest technological equipment. And so did you!

SaucyMama said...

Ryan,
Thanks for the great posting-I think I'm always smiling because I have such a great son (and daughter/wife) who makes me proud to say I'm his dad. I know you believe in the best in life as I do-the cup is always half full (or more!!) And hopefully it is a pint of Guiness or a great Pinot Noir. Enjoy Spain.
Love,
DAD